Immigration Chief Greg Bovino Set to Leave Minneapolis After Fatal Shooting Raises Pressure on Trump Crackdown

Also Read

Immigration Chief Greg Bovino Set to Leave Minneapolis After Fatal Shooting Raises Pressure on Trump Crackdown


A senior U.S. immigration official at the center of President Donald Trump’s aggressive enforcement push is expected to leave Minneapolis, signaling a possible shift in the White House’s approach after a second U.S. citizen was fatally shot by federal officers in the city.

Border Patrol Commander Gregory Bovino, who has been the public face of the federal immigration surge in Minneapolis, is set to depart along with some agents deployed under the operation. His exit comes after the killing of Alex Pretti, a 37-year-old ICU nurse, on Saturday — an incident that sharply escalated tensions and sparked protests, political backlash, and calls for an independent investigation.

As Bovino steps back, Trump’s border chief Tom Homan will take direct control of on-the-ground operations in Minneapolis, reporting straight to the president. While Homan is known for supporting tough immigration enforcement, his appointment coincides with other signs that the administration may be seeking to dial down the confrontation.

Despite the leadership change, online tracking and local reports suggest immigration raids have continued across the city.

Trump has also shifted his tone in recent days. After publicly attacking Democratic leaders over the weekend, he held phone calls with Minnesota Governor Tim Walz and Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey on Monday, describing the conversations as positive. Both local leaders confirmed the talks and said the president agreed to consider reducing the federal presence and allowing a state-led investigation into Pretti’s death.

The administration has faced mounting pressure not only from Democrats but also from prominent Republicans. On Monday, Republican gubernatorial candidate Chris Madel dropped out of the race, calling the federal operation in Minnesota an “unmitigated disaster.” Madel previously advised the agent involved in the earlier fatal shooting of another Minneapolis resident, Renee Good, on January 7.

Bovino had drawn sharp criticism after claiming Pretti intended to “massacre” federal agents — a statement that inflamed protests. The Department of Homeland Security said agents fired in self-defense, alleging Pretti was armed. However, eyewitnesses, local officials, and Pretti’s family dispute that account, saying he was holding a phone, not a gun. Video reviewed by independent analysts shows no visible firearm in Pretti’s hand.

DHS has denied reports that Bovino was fired, insisting he remains a key member of the president’s team. Other reports say he has been stripped of his special title and will return to his previous post along the U.S.-Mexico border in California.

Tensions remain high in Minneapolis, where roughly 3,000 federal immigration agents were deployed under Trump’s directive. Protests and vigils continued Monday night, including demonstrations outside a hotel where Bovino was believed to be staying.

Trump’s immigration surge in Minnesota began in December following convictions tied to large-scale welfare fraud involving some Somali immigrants. Minnesota is home to the largest Somali immigrant population in the United States, adding to the sensitivity surrounding the crackdown.

For now, the departure of the immigration commander and the president’s conciliatory outreach suggest a potential de-escalation — but for many residents and lawmakers, accountability for the shootings remains the central demand.

If you find my content helpful, consider buying me a coffee to show your appreciation and help me continue creating.

Buy Me a Coffee

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post